Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Tulips & Acorns

 

Tulips & Acorns
Adapted from the artwork of PJ Rankin-Hults
Hooked by Liz Marino

Today is another beautiful, sunny, dry and cool day here in Michigan.  It makes me think that we are in a strange limbo between summer and fall, and I am personally rooting for fall to win.  
This rug design combines the elements of summer and fall perfectly.  It seems quirky to have acorns and oak leaves growing on a tulip plant but in the rug hooking world, it makes perfect sense.  I have offered this pattern on my website for many years and every time I see it, I wonder why haven't I hooked it yet?
Liz did a fabulous job (as always!) by picking out jewel tones for the birds and echoing that delicious jewel-like fuchsia in the tulips.  The light background makes the colors glow and sing.  Have you ever heard that you should use "light, bright, dull, dark" in your rug's color plan?  Liz did it!  
Light=yellow pot  
Bright=fuchsia and teal  
Dull=oak leaves  
Dark=acorn caps 
I believe this might have been a gift (wedding?  I can't remember) and thus, the initials on the pot.
Liz is an accomplished rug hooking artist in her own right so I am honored that she chose to hook this Spruce Ridge pattern.
Thanks Liz!  It's a real beauty! **Bellissimo!**

Here's another version hooked by Paula Shultz.  She used jewel tones in her color plan too but just a little softer and different.  Her birds are so very graceful!
A lovely rug, thank you Paula!

You can find the pattern here:

No comments: