Thursday, August 13, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Goat Hill

 

Goat Hill
Adapted from the artwork of Lori Brechlin/Notforgotten Farm
Hooked by Deb Nees
(image borrowed from Woodland Junction blog)

There are certain design motifs in this rug that really speak to my heart so it is another favorite of mine and it's on my rug hooking bucket list.  I love the pomegranates on their spindly stalks, I love the crest in the middle with the date, and of course, I love the goat!  The combination of aqua and dusty pinks is perfect and the teal tulips are the icing on the cake.  Deb did a stellar job hooking this rug and I really have to give her extra credit for hooking in all the little fussy fences!  This design does have smaller details but they make the rug so delightful!
Another great rug from Deb! 

Here is another version of Goat Hill, hooked by Maureen Lowrey
Again, the dusty pink and soft red pomegranates along with the turquoise house melt my heart!  The neutral background highlights the gorgeous colors. 

Bravo to both ladies for a job well done!

The little goat in the center reminds me of one of my first angora goats, Sequoia.  His mother had twins and didn't show much interest in him. My friends brought him in the house, put a diaper on him, and let him have the run of their house until he got bigger.  He was just a tiny little guy when he came to our farm.  Goats can be sort of mean and he was picked on as a runt so we built him his own little goat house so he could get away from the bigger goats.  He grew up to be quite the sturdy fellow with the thickest horns and the most stunning blue eyes I have ever seen.  He was strong and stubborn, but boy, did he love me and I loved him right back. I still have some roving made from his fleece....so wouldn't this be a great rug to commemorate my special boy, Sequoia? 

You can find Goat Hill here:


1 comment:

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Maureen’s version especially warms my heart. Yes it sounds like sweet Sequoia needs a tribute! My sis-in-law had a goat on their farm who became more of a pet with very similar circumstances. His name was Bingo and he was best pals with the family dog. Unfortunately, he was eventually killed chasing cars with the dog, but Bingo had a special life.