Saturday, August 29, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Rain, Rain, Go Away

 

Rain, Rain, Go Away
Adapted from the artwork of Lori Brechlin/Notforgotten Farm
Maker unknown.
I really wanted to post this yesterday when the rain was coming down in buckets!

Here's another great design that I have wanted to hook for the longest time.  I had even seriously color planned it in my head and thought it would be fun to hook the umbrellas in different colors of antique paisley and maybe some sparkle wool for the rain drops.  Hmmm, not sure if I have saved any sparkle wool for myself though!

I love the story that this design tells.  Two of the ladies with the umbrellas over their heads have scowling faces but the third one (on the right) has a smile on her face while she lowers her umbrella and lets the rain drops fall.  Basically, you can make a situation be unhappy and unpleasant, or you can be happy with whatever comes your way.  Your choice.  A great lesson and affirmation for the times we are going through right now, don't you think?!?

I'll be the first to admit that the faces on this pattern are small and would need tiny little strips to get the expressions to show correctly.  My plan was to do the faces like wool appliqué:  you could cut out the shapes from flesh colored wool, embroider the sweet little expressions with floss, then sew the wool faces down to the foundation before hooking around them.  For even more dimension, I would leave a little opening before I sewed all the way around and stuff a little fiber fill into the heads so they have a nice plump appearance and they will also stick up higher than if you just left them as a flat appliqué.  
Oh my, I think I'm talking myself into doing this pattern very soon!!!  I really get excited about the possibilities.

You can find the pattern here:

I am almost finished with hooking a rug that I did for Deanne Fitzpatrick's 10 minute for 50 days hooking challenge.  If I can get 2 more hours in, it will be done!  And hopefully it will be the next Rug Of The Day...stay tuned!

2 comments:

Saundra said...

I always liked that design too.

NMK said...

Love your idea to applique the faces & give them a little stuffing !!! Have to remember that ! Another sweet design ! Love seeing all these posts ...Thank You !!!!