Friday, August 7, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Laundry Day

Laundry Day
Adapted from the artwork of Lori Brechlin/Notforgotten Farm
Hooked by Terry John (TJ)

It's another delightful day in Michigan with plenty of sunshine and low humidity.  Today I washed and hung my bedsheets out on the clothesline.  I really love the smell of freshly laundered sheets that have been hung out to dry!  They are crisp and smell like sunshine and fresh air.  There is really nothing like it.  I can't wait to climb into bed tonight.

My mom had a dryer when I was growing up but she never used it. I don't know if it was broken or if she just chose not to use it.  She always hung her laundry on the line in the summer and had clothes lines strung in the basement for wintertime. When I got married and had a house of my own, I carried on the same tradition.  Some of it is nostalgia and some of it is just plain living "green."  My electric dryer is used mostly for drying rug hooking wool! Ha!

As I was hanging out my sheets, I thought that this rug would be a perfect one to spotlight today.  To me, this sweet design speaks volumes.  There is nothing so humble and comforting as laundry on the line.  And a little grandma who has put on her starched apron to start her chores.  I can smell the pie in the oven.

TJ did a spectacular job at hooking this rug.  I love the stone house, the galvanized wash tub, and of course, the sheets hanging on the line.   But the star of the show is the braided rug!  Yikes, isn't it fabulous?!?  The original pattern has a square "sheet" drawn, lying on the grass but TJ braided a little oval piece and then sewed it to the foundation.  So clever!  

Bravo, TJ!  You have raised the bar on this one!

You can find the pattern here:

Wouldn't this be the perfect rug to hang in YOUR laundry room?



4 comments:

Saundra said...

And I thought I was the only one who still hung out sheets. Totally agree there is nothing better than crawling into bed with crisp air dried sheets. It is instant zzzzzs.
OMG, TJ braided that and stitched in in? How dang COOL!!!!!!!! This might be my next class with you gurlfren. But will do the braiding before class.

Unknown said...

So glad to see people blogging again! Just giving and sharing these wonderful rugs!

JustGail said...

I need to put up an outside line again. One drawback, and now that I'm retired it's not longer an issue, is that the time it takes to put up and take down the laundry on the line, takes away time to be doing other things. Oh and finding fat hairy spiders in those lovely crisp fresh air dried sheets while making the bed makes going to bed less relaxing, especially if you make the bed right before. :-O

Rugs and Pugs said...

My mom hung laundry out even in the winter! It would sometimes freeze on the line and she'd have to bring it in to thaw...lol!
Thanks for the memory.