Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Majestic

 

Majestic
Adapted from the artwork of PJ Rankin-Hults
Hooked by Gail Soltar

I have always been very fond of this design, even though I have not hooked it myself.  I have a special place in my heart for Pennsylvania German fraktur designs.  Their spirit, color, and naive-like quality are a constant inspiration to me.  So it's no wonder that I love the gracefulness of the bird and the reds and golds of the tulips.  It's a stunning combination that evokes peace and gentleness.
Gail's rug is perfectly balanced because she moved the colors from the center design out to the side tabs. I love how she hooked the chest feathers by making them lighter toward the head and darker as they move down the belly.  Outlining is a must so that the feathers are defined.  The dark background is very calming.

Hooked by Rhonda Thistlethwaite

Many years ago, Rhonda was in my class at the Holland Rug Camp and she requested a special version of Majestic.  We softened the bird a bit (almost dove-like, don't you agree?) and put tabs around the whole border.  The tulip red is carried out to the border and helps move your eye around the design.  The bird is very soft and graceful!  

Both ladies did a very lovely job with their rugs and they are outstanding examples of Pam's design!

You can find the pattern here:

I still have the pattern for Rhonda's version but since it is considered a special order, you would have to contact me to draw it up for you.

4 comments:

Saundra said...

I so enjoy seeing the various colors chosen by hookers. Amazing how different the rug turns out depending on a dark or light background. So the rug hooker should know before attending a camp with their project which background they prefer....right? Sometimes I don't care and let my delightful and talented teacher to guide me ;).

Rugs and Pugs said...

Both beautiful rugs.
Sadly, Gail passed away a couple years ago. She is now in hooker heaven.

Kris Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kris Miller said...

I heard that she passed away but I thought her rug was worthy of being shown anyway. Gail was a sweet lady and I miss her!