Sunday, August 16, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Mr. McGregor

 

Mr. MacGregor
Adapted from the design of Lori Brechlin/Notforgotten Farm
Hooked by Kris Miller

Isn't this a strange year?  We have had a multitude of rabbits and I don't ever remember a year where I have seen so many.  In the morning and evening when I walk down to the barn, there are at least 6 of them out in the grass along my way.  There is a small one who is not afraid of me at all and I have gotten pretty close before he darts away.  I know most people think they are cute but they have chewed up some of my lovely plants...one was a rose bush from my granddaughter and we were unable to save it. :(
Anyway, I think I prefer rabbits when they are hooked so may I present to you....*taa daa*
Mr. MacGregor!
He's such a dashing gent with his cane and his hat set at a jaunty angle.  He must be on his way to meet his sweetheart because he's carrying a gift of a tasty carrot treat.
I found a beautiful brown plaid at Sauder Village years ago.  It wasn't very much but it was enough to hook his body and have a small piece left over for another rug.  I decided on a turquoise plaid background because I love the way it "plays well" with the brown.  The turquoise plaid had a dusty purple line running through it so I hooked the two big spindly flowers with different values of purple and a fun yellow center.  I dipped into my left over strips for the tabs on the sides.  It was my first time at "hit or miss" and if you remember, I ended up thinking it should be called "trial and error" instead.  I learned a lot about which colors worked well with each other and which ones didn't.   

This rug now calls home in a private collection.  One year we vended at a fiber show near Charlevoix, MI.  It took place at Castle Farms, which has an interesting history.  It was built in 1918 by the vice president of the Sears and Roebuck company as a farm to showcase their livestock and farm equipment.  The buildings really do look like they belong to a castle! Over the years, it changed owners and was once used as a venue for rock concerts. Eventually the buildings deteriorated and it was in sad shape. It was purchased by Linda Mueller in 2001 who restored it to its beautiful original condition.  It is now a popular venue for weddings and formal events.
On the last day of the fiber show, some of the other vendors told me that Linda Mueller would walk through the buildings and thank everyone for coming.  As we were packing up, a very small lady wearing a blue wind breaker and baseball cap came into our booth and thanked us for coming.  She also inquired about purchasing the Mr.MacGregor rug that was still hanging on my rug display.  I was a little flustered, realizing that this very unassuming person was the lady who owned the venue!  I tapped the keys of my calculator and showed her the price.  She promptly scribbled out a check, rolled up the rug, stuck it under her arm, and walked away.  My husband turned to look at me as my mouth dropped open..."did you just sell your rug?"  he gasped.  "That's OK, I'll hook another one" I managed to push the words out of my mouth.  Haha, I had never intended to sell my rug but I know it went to a lovely home and a person who would love it.
By the way, I never did hook another one so I look at my pictures with much fondness in my heart for Mr. MacGregor.

You can find the pattern here:

1 comment:

Saundra said...

Interesting story. Once you have hooked something the enthusiasm isn't there to do it a second time.....but I did do that once. Not sure I'll ever do it again tho.