Monday, August 10, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Happy Home~Happy Heart

 

Happy Home~Happy Heart
Adapted from the artwork of Lori Brechlin/Notforgotten Farm
Hooked by Kris Miller

Sometimes when I am looking at the collection of rugs I have hooked, I will see one and say "Oh that's my favorite!"  Then I look at another and think, "well that's my favorite too!"  And then another one:  "Wow, that was a fun one to hook and THAT'S my favorite!"  LOL  I realized that my rugs are like my kids...they are all my favorites but just for different reasons!  How can you pick just one?

So here is one of my favorites because the color plan just fell into place and it felt that the rug practically hooked itself. It makes my heart happy!
 I did the color plan a little differently than I normally do...I picked the plaid for the heart first.  It is one of my favorite plaids because it has pinkish red, coral orange, and a bit of turquoise in it.  It is a wonderful bridge for color planning and I usually use it for flowers quite a bit because it combines with all those colors and makes them sing.  The heart is large so I decided a red outline would work.  Now I could choose the other colors in the plaid to add to the rug's color story.  I live in a red house so that seemed to be the perfect choice.  The roof couldn't be too dark because of the background, but another favorite brown and red texture was perfect.  I like to have fun with the door so I picked out a blue noodle from some scraps (a green or orange door would have been nice too).  
Since my favorite plaid had turquoise in it, I chose a teal overdyed wool for the lettering.  Now my favorite colors were represented!
Rusty browns and olive greens completed the trees...I did a different shade of olive for each leaf shape...and a blue and green plaid was hooked for the ground.

Did you notice that I hooked the siding of the house up and down (vertically) but the roof was hooked horizontally?  Here's a hint:  it was a little easier to hook all those long windows when I hooked the siding up and down.  The windows are hooked in a slightly darker value than the background so the house didn't look like it had "holes" in it.

Here's a link to the pattern on my website:



2 comments:

THE ONLY TRUE HACKER IN THE WORLD ® said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
moosecraft said...

Yep. This is definitely a favorite! When I get back to hooking (soon), I'll be ordering this pattern! :-)