Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Oh Glorious Day

It's a glorious day in Michigan, full of bright sunshine, low humidity, and cooler temps.  Let's celebrate this beautiful day!
Oh Glorious Day
Adapted from the artwork of Lori Brechlin/Notforgotten Farm
Hooked by Saundra Porter

You just can't have a bad day when you look at Oh Glorious Day!  It brings a smile to my face every time I see it.  This rug has been on my rug hooking bucket list for a long time but I do get some creative satisfaction when I am able to help in its color plan.  Saundra and I worked on this together at Cape May last September.  If you have ever been to Cape May, you would know about the "Dungeon."  Haha!  It sounds ominous, doesn't it?  It is a small room off the porch/bar area that is quite dark.  We all dread it because it is hard to see color in there and it is rather cramped, with tables close together and wool stacked in every possible space.   But the hotel recently painted the room a lighter color and I brought some lights to shine on my wool.  So last year's Dungeon experience actually turned out to be quite a lovely week with a great group of gals.  A real sisterhood experience, I think.

  There's so many things about Saundra's rug that I love...the red house with purple door, the speckled chicken wool, the way she "colored" in the o's in the words.  This is exactly how I would have hooked it!  

Here is another version of Oh Glorious Day, hooked by Wendy Miller
Another fabulous version and I have to point out the whimsical striped legs on the 
chicken.  I also love the way Wendy hooked the tree.  She hooked a little red dot at the juncture of the leaves and the branches...very unusual and unexpected.  I know it took much more effort to create this effect but it adds to the playfulness of the design.

This is one rug where I think it is absolutely necessary to hook a light or medium light background because it adds to the happiness of the design.  After all, the sun is out and smiling...it's the dawn of a new glorious day!

You can find the pattern here:




4 comments:

Saundra said...

Oh Kris, thanks for putting a huge smile on my face. As you know there was more to the story which makes sense it stays our secret for the blog post. I loved your idea for the sun's rays in the one I hooked. Never would have thought of using just a section of that wool ~ great call.

ChristyH said...

I have been really loving this "series".

Rugs and Pugs said...

Saundra hooks the best rugs!

NMK said...

Another great post ! These are really fun to see & read about !!!