Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Lori's Flower Basket

 

Lori's Flower Basket
Adapted from the artwork of Lori Brechlin/Notforgotten Farm

I took a photo of this rug many years ago when I was teaching in Seattle but I didn't get enough of the label in the picture to remember who hooked this rug. If anyone knows, please leave me a comment so I can give credit where credit is rightfully due!

This is a wonderful version of Lori's design!  Maybe I'm partial to it because it has my favorite combination of turquoise and brown.  I love the way the flower pot is hooked and the beading is the perfect detail to give it a little pizzazz while still looking primitive.  I also think the light background makes all the soft colors sing and I love the extra little wiggles, which give a happy movement to the rug.

It is PRIM perfect!  Yay!

You can find the pattern here:
At just 19" x 20," this is a great floral design for someone who doesn't want to take on hooking a large project.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since today was National Dogs Day, I thought I'd show a picture of the first rug that I designed myself and only the second rug that I had ever hooked.  
I call this the "Jasper" rug, after our beloved family dog, Jasper.  As you can see, he loved to lay in that position.  The rug has a border of oak leaves and acorns which is my favorite type of motif.  I had never dyed wool before and I was totally scared to death to try it...I don't know why but I guess I was more worried about my failures than my successes.  I used a lot of as-is and recycled wool so the dog's body is hooked from a camel hair mens suit jacket that I found at Salvation Army.  I wanted to do a little "shading" just to show the shadows (not going for realism, by any means) so I dyed the darker carmel colors with strong coffee because that didn't scare  me as much as chemical dyes.  One night I was color planning the oak leaves and I felt like I had hit a wall...I could not come up with a color to go with my orange leaf section so my husband came downstairs and helped me pick out a dusty purple.  I'll never forget that moment....something very sweet about having him help me when I was at my wit's end.  Anyway, I'll cut this long story short....I entered this rug at Sauder Village the very first year I went and I won a ribbon!  I'm sure that there were some ladies who couldn't figure out why my rug got a ribbon and theirs did not, but it's the judges' choice and I do remember Carolyn Sauder herself telling me that she liked my rug because she felt like she could reach out and touch the sleeping dog...a good enough compliment for me!  When the rug came back home, we let Jasper sleep on it.  He needed to reap the benefits of being an award winning model!
I do not offer this pattern for sale as it is very personal to me and I wanted it to be the only one that was ever created.

No comments: