Friday, July 3, 2020

Rug Of The Day - Lucky Liberty Black Cat

Lucky Liberty Black Cat
Adapted from the artwork of Johanna Parker
Hooked by Kris Miller

Besides being a talented designer and artist, Johanna is the proud owner of a black cat named Jack.  He has been the inspiration for much of her artwork, whether it be Halloween, patriotic, or just general high jinks!   Jack hit a much celebrated milestone a few weeks ago and turned 20 years old.  Happy birthday to Jack!

I started this rug last summer but somehow it got tucked away when my traveling got busy and then it sat in my hooking bag until our state went into lock down in March.  I pulled it back out and began hooking again.  It was so much fun to do, I really don't know why it took me so long to get back to it!  I decided to use a quillie circle to jazz up the center of his bow tie and my "nine-cut" stars appear again on his buttons.  I used the beading technique with a #9 cut to create his mischievous smile.  The background is hooked with my Faded Flag colors and I hooked the background stripes in straight rows to give the effect of the stripes in the American Flag.

I had originally hooked silver eyelash yarn for the sparklers but it was not pleasing to me so I changed up my plan.  I edged part of the white with a silver sparkle yarn and then smeared silver glitter glue over the white hooked areas.  
I highly recommend Stickles glitter glue because it is acid-free, thin, and dries clear so all you see is the glitter.  I bought mine at Michael's and got the 3-pack of silver, gold, and diamonds.  It's a fun thing to have on hand when you want to add a little bling!  I know it's hard to see in the photo but it's really wonderful when you see it close up...just the right amount of sparkle without being gaudy!

You can purchase the Lucky Liberty Black Cat here:

I haven't bought sparklers in a long time but I do remember Black Cat sparklers when I was growing up...



1 comment:

Saundra said...

Oh my, I see another project in my future and still have Over the Moon and Old Tom to hook. Just so happens there is/was some sparkle glue in my supplies but maybe all dried up by now. Am so enjoying you blog posts of tempting projects. Happy Independence Day gal and be safe.