Thursday, January 28, 2016

Rug Of The Day - Old Tom

Old Tom - hooked by Kris Miller
Adapted from Lori Brechlin Folk Art by Spruce Ridge Studios (c) 2014
Monks:  32.00
Linen:  $40.00
Dimensions: 15" x 19.25"

This is such a simple and delightful turkey pattern!  I decided that when I hooked this design, I was only going to use up scraps of wool I had laying around.  Not "noodles" or left-over strips - I'm talking about the 3" or 4" or 5" pieces that are left over from other projects. It seems like I have a huge bag of those! So my plan was that I would not cut into any new wool, except for the background.  The background is my favorite, Reversible Black Stripe.  Grayish on one side, and antique black on the other, this one wool will give you an aged look instantly.  
We have a group of turkeys who visit us quite regularly so I decided to use the gray-blue wool for Tom's head, just like a real turkey.  I blended it down into a brown plaid for the body and used a pebbly black and beige texture for the feathers.  I used another left-over orange/red plaid for the wing and used thin strips of the same down the center of the tail feathers.  The letters are really a soft burnished yellow, although they show up brighter in the photo.
I love this wonderful little rug.  I hooked nearly all of it in an 8.5 cut and it didn't take long to finish.

1 comment:

Rugs and Pugs said...

I love Old Tom. That was a fun one to hook.
Hugs :)
Lauren