Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rug of the Day-January 21st-something different

I taught a great beginner class today!  There were 8 eager learners and they are now on their way to becoming accomplished rug hooking artists.  I talked a little about the history of rug hooking  and the way old rugs were hooked.  It made me a little nostalgic, so I looked up my pictures from the Magdalena rugs that were on display at the Sauder Village rug exhibit last summer.  I'm sure many of you have seen pictures already but I took some close-ups and I think they are worth sharing.
I like to think that Magdalena had a wonderful, whimsical, and very creative imagination.  I think this rug is terrific.  If you want the pattern, Barb Carroll from the Woolley Fox does an adaptation of this rug.  Look at these close-ups:
You can see all types of cool fabrics in there-stripes and dots and prints!  Maybe Grandpa's pants or Grandma's old Sunday dress. Not all of it was wool. The colors are vibrant still, even though more than a hundred years of wear has taken its toll.
I don't think anyone should ever worry about if their hooking is even or not...Magdalena just worked her magic and we love it!
I love this little dog rug too.  The colors are so simple and yet it just speaks to my heart.
~~~~~
PS:  Just in case you haven't noticed, I have posted my 2012 schedule.  Just click on the words at the top of this page and it will take you to a new page with my schedule.  There may be a few more additions, so make sure you check  back occasionally to see what's new.

3 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Thanks for showing these closeups. I also think it's good to hear your thoughts about loop height...especially for new hookers out there. Crafting and art shouldn't look machine made. That's the beauty, in my opinion.
Inspiring rugs!
Courtney

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kris ~
I just love Magdalena's rugs! Thanks for the close up.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

That first rug has got to be one of my all time favorites...would love to attempt one of my own. Cheers, Susan