Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Audience In The Balcony

Apparently I have more "watchers" than just Mr. Frog.  Here is my little fan club that is sitting in the "balcony" of one of the goat shelters:


These are baby Barn Swallows!  I believe Momma has been teaching them to fly during the day.  In the evening they are all hunkered down in their nest.


They build really interesting nests out of mud and straw, then line the inside with feathers.  The nest gets reused from generation to generation.  I think this nest has been used for the past 3 years.  I am happy to have them around because they eat lots of bugs, like mosquitoes and flies....we have a smorgasbord of those around here!

3 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Awwwww ~

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kris ~
Years ago, barn swallows would nest in my parents' chicken coop. It was amazing how they could still fit in the nest ~ though just barely ~ when they were getting ready to leave for good.
Thanks for the memory.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Julia said...

What a charming photo. Too cute. JB