Monday, December 19, 2016

The Twelve Days of Christmas Rugs - Day 7

Designed and hooked by Kris Miller

This rug was originally designed as a project for the book Designs For Primitive Rug Hookers by Jenny Rupp and Lisa Yeago.  I believe the book is out of print now but I still sell the pattern on my website.  Santa's beard is hooked with roving from a Lincoln sheep.  The roving is hairy and has a beautiful luster which is perfect for Santa.  I hooked a burnished gold herringbone wool in my border because it reminded me of the rich gold borders around vintage Christmas postcards. This design was indeed inspired by those lovely old postcards.

Here is a little Santa trivia for you today:  did you know that many people believe that Santa Claus lives at the arctic circle in Finland?  The Finnish name for Santa is Joulupukki, which literally translates to Christmas Goat!

No comments: