Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Step Away From That Rug!


Quite often at this time of year, I get caught up in the zeal and enthusiasm of rug hooking. This year the Olympics has had me glued to my rug hooking chair. I am often working on one particular object with glorious abandon, caught up in the moment of it all. This is when I have to remind myself of a basic truth...step away from the rug! You see, we are often hooking and focusing our attention on one small area and not stepping back to look at the big picture. Sometimes this sets us up for surprises. I usually pull my work-in-progress off of my frame for the night, and then spread it on the floor in the morning to see what's going on. There are several reasons why I do this. First of all, I pull my rug off the frame so it is not tight and stretched out all night. I learned this lesson the hard way on one of my early rugs as I had near-permanent "bends" and ripples from keeping it tight on my frame for days (or maybe weeks). The good news is that I did get it all steamed out to lay flat but it was quite a job! Now secondly, I do not look at my work until the morning because: A) I am a night owl and hook late into the night; B) if I'm tired and see something wrong before I go to bed, it will keep me awake thinking about how to fix it (you know you'd do the same thing!); C) a fresh eye and fresh mind in the morning can problem-solve much better if something needs to be tweaked.
Right now I am thinking "Spring" and hooking Ah Tis Spring (a Notforgotten Farm adaptation). I love hooking rabbits and I love using lavenders and aquas for spring colors! This morning I decided to really take a critical look at my work so far. What did I decide? The bottom button on the dress is just a little too far over to the left. (Need to move that over. Good thing I didn't hook around it too much.) Also, I originally thought I'd like the dusty purple pantaloons, however now I think that they look a little too "heavy" for this bunny's apparel. I'm going to rip it out and try something else. I could have lived with this for a few days but honestly, I don't think I would have changed my mind...
You've probably noticed that I used quilling again. I've done a lot of that lately and wasn't sure I wanted to repeat it in yet another rug. But the rabbit's dress was so plain and I think the quilling buttons added just the right touch of whimsy. Sometimes these rugs tell us what they want to be!

10 comments:

Carol Daugherty said...

Hi Kris....
Love your colors, they really do look great for spring. Stepping away is a good idea, just looking at a rug from farther away gives you better perspective. And, the buttons look really cute, the quilling makes it more interesting!! I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!!

Deb said...

I just love your adaptation of that pattern as she's one of my favorite designers. More and more, I'm seeing how rug hooking can be such an interesting craft to do. I love the colors and I love the quilled buttons - I think that it just adds a perfect touch. I can't wait to see more.

woolwoman said...

AWWWW - she looks like a chocolate bunny - tooo cute! Can't wait to see more progress and thanks for the reminder about removing or loosening your canvas from the hooking frame. Melody

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Love the title of your post! And yes, I learned the hard way, too, leaving a heavy rug on the frame is not a good idea! Your rabbit lady if very cute!

Cathy G. said...

This is a really cute design! I hook late into the night too and have learned to not look too hard for things to change until the next morning! Sometimes it looks altogether different and I end up not changing or seeing a different color etc. Great post with great tips for all rug hookers!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

The buttons sure do add just the right touch! Love the design and how it's all coming together.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kris ~
Another great rug and I do like the quill buttons. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Lori Ann Corelis said...

The rug is lovley . . . there is just something about a rabbit in a blue coat don't you think?

Hope to see you somewhere this year . . I love staring at and using the wools that I have purchased from you in the past! ANd the quilling technique is cool . . I learned it from Sally too!

Love your work!!
Lori Ann

From Sherry's Heart said...

Hi Kris!!
The rug is lookin' good!!!
I'm the one who actually stitched that design for Lori's sample/model.
I think I could have hooked it faster due to these old eyes tryin' to see all those teenie tiny X's!!!!!
Got to quill soon!!!!!

Sherry

The French Bear said...

Beautiful, what gorgeous works of art! I love your bunny rug, such beautiful colors!!
Hugs,
Margaret B