Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lee Ann

I want to tell you a story about Lee Ann....

This is a story about rugs and goats and friendship.
I met Lee Ann about 10 years ago. You see, I had gone to the Michigan State Fair with my two young sons and had seen a pen of curious bright-eyed goats. And instantly fell in love with them. I went home and told my husband that I wanted to get some goats!!! He is the more practical one in this family and reminded me that I knew absolutely NOTHING about raising goats. As luck would have it, several months later an article appeared on the front page of our community newspaper. A local veterinarian was teaching goat care classes. "If you ever hope to own a goat," my husband said, "you'd better sign up for those classes."
I wonder now if he was thinking that I'd take the classes and change my mind, maybe thinking it was too much work. The classes were once a month on a Saturday for nine months. Each month had a different topic related to goat care, such as vaccinations, feeding, housing, pregnancy, etc. I was the only one attending who didn't own a goat...and I went to every single class and took notes. Oh, and guess what? The teacher/veterinarian was Lee Ann. She is a goat-expert and I learned so much. I got my first three goats shortly after the classes ended.
And the rest is "goat history"...
~~~~
Now let's speed ahead about 10 years. I ran into Lee Ann again at the Michigan Fiber Festival and she told me that she'd like to try her hand at rug hooking. So this January when I started some classes here at my home, Lee Ann signed up. She watched and asked questions the first day but didn't want to sit and hook. "I just want to watch" she said. In the back of my mind, I was a little worried...everyone else was jumping right into it. Lee Ann bought some linen and wool and said she was going to go home and draw her own pattern.
Now the rest is "rug hooking" history....
The rug pictured at the beginning of my post is Lee Ann's first rug! It portrays her mom's crazy energetic dog chasing a butterfly. Isn't it fabulous! You can just feel the happiness and energy in this rug! Lee Ann is smitten with rug hooking and she's having fun and I am so excited for her! The best compliment I can ever receive as a teacher is an excited and motivated student. This first rug has some sculpted flowers and beading around the border...just awesome for a first rug! And she's already dreaming of designing the next rug....a goat with prodded sunflowers.
Don't get me wrong...I am extremely proud of ALL my students! They always work and progress beyond my wildest expectations. But I think this particular story is so special. A spirit of sharing our passion of goats and rug hooking with each other. It doesn't get better than that.

5 comments:

The French Bear said...

Her rug is beautiful! I wish I could be there learning too!!!! I really like your post, it's a great story!
Cheers,
Margaret B

HomeSpunPrims said...

Kris,
Love the story and seeing Lee Ann's delightful first rug. It's so special that your friendship has come full circle and you taught each other something you are both passionate about! Thanks for sharing.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kris ~
Very impressive for a first rug!!!
I love the goat story.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

woolwoman said...

what a great story Kris! Thanks Mel

Debra Lloyd said...

I love Lee Ann's rug! Hope I can see it in person in one of Saturday classes.