Friday, March 28, 2008

Mikko

We had to say good-bye to Mikko on Easter Sunday. My heart has been so heavy that I could not post it until today. As you recall from an earlier post, Mikko had surgery on December 31st for a urinary blockage. We were told at the time that Mikko may only have 6 more months to live. He did very well in the following months and we thought he might beat the odds. But on Easter morning when I went out to feed the animals, I found Mikko laying in his shelter and he was in a lot of discomfort. The urinary blockage had returned. The vet came out and did everything he could...but there was nothing more to do except allow him to die without any more suffering. So we put him to sleep with his head in my lap and I stroked his head until he closed his eyes. Sunny Easter Sunday was a very sad day.
^^^
Mikko was strong and gentle. He had a sense of humor...I think sometimes he laughed at my human ways. He would tip his head back ever-so-slightly and then shake his nose at me....that usually meant that he was joking with me about something! He loved to have his back and his ears scratched. He loved to eat pumpkins.
^^^
His grave is up on a little grassy knoll where there is a flowering cherry tree and a pretty view of our pond. He is buried next to my beloved goat, Aspen.
^^^
There is some joy through the tears! I am arranging to purchase a little lamb this spring to keep Lumi company (she is so lonely). I think a soft little lamb is just what I need to lift my spirits!

No comments: