Sunday, August 24, 2008

Moon Flowers

Ken and I went to a flea market in mid-July. We go to this particular flea market every year and I always find some sort of special antique treasure to drag home. This year, I did not find any antiques that spoke to my heart. But I did buy 4 little Moon Flower plants with the hope that I might nurture them along and enjoy the flowers. God may have given me a talent for raising animals but just about every plant that I touch is doomed. I can not get a plant to thrive unless it's a perennial like hostas or peonies, which come up every year and sort of take care of themselves without any fuss or effort on my part. I am always envious of other people's lush green gardens and colorful flower beds. I am a "green thumb-deficient" person.
*****
Imagine my delight when my Moon Flowers started to bloom last night! They remind me of the big floppy flowers in a Georgia O'Keeffe painting. There are lots of flower buds that are ready to burst open. Maybe the Moon Flowers and I will get along just fine.

1 comment:

JoJo said...

Kris, this post brings back some bittersweet memories. My mother had a huge moon vine at my parents' final home. What a beauty it was as it grew and spread up to the deck. As evening came, the flowers were everywhere. I didn't even realize how much I missed that vine/flowers until you posted about it. How I wish we could have kept that house in the family!