Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Beginner kits

The calendar tells me it's just 8 short days before we will be setting up our booth at the Michigan Fiber Festival in Allegan, Michigan.  I enjoy vending at fiber festivals because I get to meet all kinds of people who are new to rug hooking....I feel like I'm spreading the joy!  Our booth in Allegan is big enough that I can sit and hook, which usually creates a lot of interest!  But before we arrive at a show, I often ask myself what is it that beginners are looking for, as far as kits are concerned.  What type of design?  What colors?  How much will they spend?  In the past, I have tried to provide low-cost kits that are attractive but I think I need to change it up a bit from year to year.
I have to admit, I am not an avid kit maker.  It's messy to cut up all that wool...especially when you are assembling 10 or 12 of them at a time.  And yet, I know it's essential to provide a simple pattern, cut strips, and a beginner hook. I want everyone to love rug hooking just like I do!
I got a wild hare the other day.  Sometimes ideas pop in my head and just beg to come out.  I felt like time was getting away from me but I pushed the pedal to the metal.  I hooked up two new little samples for beginner kits and they will make their debut at Fiber Festival next week-end.  

Garden Daisy

Black-eyed Susan

They are both 8" square, easy to hook...and just darn cute! What more could a beginner ask for?  I'll be posting them to my website once I'm back from Allegan.  

I've been hooking up a storm lately (and rewatching Downton Abbey), so I'll show you some of what's been on my frame in my next post.

1 comment:

Saundra said...

So nice to see you blogging again and that you're offering beginner kits. A lot of newbies gravitate to my blog and they will tap on your blog I'm sure, since it is on my sidebar. Good luck with sales!!