Sunday, January 11, 2009

Wooly Weather Forecasters


Happy New Year! Well, I think it's hardly considered the New Year any more. Everyone is getting back into their old routines. Here in Michigan, nothing has changed....not even the weather. It snowed all day yesterday. It was a constant, dense snow with small flakes. That's the kind that piles up fast, and that's exactly what it did...pile up.
Funny thing, the sheep have had ravenous appetites. My hay grower, Paul, told me last summer that when their appetites increase enormously like that, it means there is much colder weather on the way. And sure enough, the weather gurus are now predicting sub-zero temps later on this week. I could have predicted it at least two weeks ago.
Anyway, as the snow was coming down, Lumi was digging through the snow, looking for bits of left-over hay to snack on. She got quite a crusty coat of snow on the top of her back. Kevin said, "Mom, she looks like a Frosted Mini-Wheat". To which I answered, "yes, and she's loaded with fiber too".
***
That's your dumb sheep joke of the week!

2 comments:

Rughooker said...

Great joke, Kris.
I was sorry to miss Thrums and Chums yesterday - the snow stopped me. I'm already wishing for spring and am sorry your woolies are predicting more cold weather. My horses are saying the same - they want to be closed into the barn with mounds of hay.

JoJo said...

Now that's cute, Kris. She does indeed look like a frosted mini wheat.

Our winter in Eastern Kansas has been strange. Oh, sure, we've had the bone-chilling cold several times but we've also set record highs....like the day after Christmas, when we made it to 67. And not much snow at all.

Now that I have such a phobia of falling (a broken leg does that to you), in some respects, I'm happy that the driveway is clear and there's no ice. But I also know that the winter wheat crop needs snow.