I thought I'd get my project posted early because we are leaving later to attend my mother-in-law's 87th birthday party!
Again, here are the objects that we had to work with:
And as you remember, I had a bit of indecisiveness with my project. However, once I sat down and got hooking, things flowed fairly smoothly and I am happy with the results:
The overdyed sheep's curls were used for the hair, the bit of variegated yarn was used for the "wave", the twig was used as driftwood and sewn to the hooking, the sparkly cording was used as accents in the mermaid's tale. I overdyed the white roving with a greenish yellow hue. There wasn't enough to hook the entire tail, so I used it to outline each "scale" and filled in with the same striped wool that I hooked in her tail. It really turned out better this way, I like the dimension that the combination created. Since the twig added a three-dimensional visual to the mat, I decided to add the shells as accents too (then the twig didn't look like it was just stuck there all by itself). I love the shell-bra too, don't you? She's a little sexy but not risque...no wardrobe malfunction here!
Close up of Mermaid's face and torso.
Scales with roving outline.
(not so good) picture of tail with glittery cord accents.
Angle view to show the dimension of the objects.
Oh! Forgot to mention that I bound the mat with a crocheted edge, using wool strips, cut in #8. I used the same wool as my background, thus a harmonious blend that extends the border out a bit. You can see the crocheted edge in this picture. A fun and quick way to bind your rug! I'll be teaching this way of binding in my Sauder Village workshop this year.
It was a very fun project indeed and I'm looking forward to discover what my blog sisters have created! Check them out: