Monday, January 2, 2012

Rug of the Day-January 2nd

Today's rug is a design that is probably one of my all-time favorites. 
Tropical Leopard (designed by Kris Miller/Spruce Ridge Studios (c) 2005).
This rug is hooked by Linda Woodbury.  It was on display at the Chalfonte Hotel in Cape May during the 2010 Rugs By The Sea rug camp.  I had actually helped Linda with her color plan when I was teaching at the Ohio Rug Camp the year before.  I love Linda's color sense and she had some definite ideas about how she wanted to hook it.  Her night sky is amazing and so are her purple stars and blue-hued leaves.
Here is my original version:
Barb Carroll had color planned this for me some years ago when I attended a three-day class at the Woolly Fox.  It was one of the rare times that I did not bring much wool.  In fact, maybe two pieces of overdyed wool and a piece of paisley (used in the palm fronds).  All the rest of the textures were from Barb's wonderful treasury of wool.  I think this is still my favorite rug of all time.  I loved pulling up every loop!
A couple of people have told me that my leopard reminds them of the creatures in the Edward Hicks painting Peaceable Kingdom.  A high compliment indeed!
~~~
PS:  The Antique Hearts will be available as a pattern ... stay tuned for details!

1 comment:

Lori Ann Corelis said...

Oooooooo . . one of my all time favorites as well!!

I've enjoyed seeing all the rugs!!

Hope your Christmas as great and m ay 2012 bring you only good things!
L