Friday, May 30, 2008

Name That Fungus


OK, so I'm sure you were up all night, wondering what type of fungus I have growing on a tree in my backyard (see yesterday's post). I won't keep you in suspense any longer:

The name of the fungus is Dryad's Saddle or also known as Pheasant's Back Mushroom. This type of bracket fungus grows mostly on dead trees but may also be found on trees with injuries, which is probably what is going on with my tree. It is not poisonous.

I'm sure you'll agree that it does look like the back of a pheasant with its feathery pattern and soft brown colors. But what, you ask, is a dryad? In Greek mythology, a dryad is a wood nymph. Could it be that forest faeries have been frolicking in the trees and watching us from afar?
*****

(Emma and her mom - picture taken at the end of April)

I have been told that Emma will be ready to come home to our farm in about 2 weeks! I have not been out to Neil's farm to see her recently but he tells me that she's getting big and she has lots of curls.

Have a great week-end!

2 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Hi Kris ~ is that a mushroom you can eat? Maybe it's better just to look at! Can't wait to see the next photo of your 4-legged baby!!
Wish I lived closer ~ I would come to your sale!!!
I so appreciate you adding my blog to your list ~ Thank You!! Alice

Kris Miller said...

Hi Alice,

I've heard that this mushroom is edible if you pick it when it is young and first sprouting...but no one seems to think that they taste very good anyway! I think I'll just admire the beautiful texture and leave it at that.
Kris